Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Bought a Sentry Safe about 7 -8 years ago. It appears that

Customer Question

I am Dave. Bought a Sentry Safe about 7 -8 years ago. It appears that the batteries are dead as the safe won't respond to the code. I have a key but I don't remember how find the slot for the key. Can you help?
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: There are no lights that light up on the panel that would indicate a low battery so I believe that the whole thing is dead. The safe was a low price safe bought at sporting goods store. I believe it is a ten gun safe.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't opened the safe in about three years. I gave my kids the guns that I have and haven't opened it since. There are three lights on the safe and none are in operation.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Where does the key go to unlock the safe without using the keypad?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

On most Sentry gun safe models, you can twist the keypad anti-clockwise to remove it, then insert the override key into the key slot.

If this doesn't work for you, let me know the model number so I can assist you further.

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------