Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have the newer Nikkor 80mm to 400mm lens. The barrel that

Customer Question

I have the newer Nikkor 80mm to 400mm lens. The barrel that twists to move the lens from 80mm to 400mm becomes very hard to turn. I blow it out with canned air and it becomes easier but the next day I'm right back to it being to hard to twist.
I don't feel I'm using the lens in an excessively dusty situation.
What can I do myself to correct this problem? Jim P.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please just tell me this much, before I advise you:

1. how old is the lens in question?

2. did you purchase it New, or Used?

3. has it always been like this, difficult to turn at one end or the range or all over the range?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
1. I'd say it is about a year old.
2. New
3.. Not when it was new.
I have sent it to an authorized repair facility(as I do all of my equipment from time to time. But this problem is happening too frequently to keep sending it back. I need a solution that will allow me to fix it, if possible. Thanks

Is it now difficult to turn only at one end of its range, or all over its range (awhile after you have cleaned it out with blowing again) ?

Has the lens been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the lens been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Right now its difficult between 80 and 250 then eases up.
lens never dropped
not below 32 and not above 100
no high humidity no water ( I may have to leave to morrow is ist day of deer season and my 9 yr old grand son wants to target shoot)

OK.

It sounds to me as if the lens was defective somehow from the start.

Did the problem 'stay fixed' for at least a while after sending it off to warranty repair?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I think it did stay fixed for a while. I'm from pennsylvania but recently went to New Mexico and that's where it started to act up. I blew it out one afternoon and it worked OK until the next day when it became difficult again.I don't think it was bad from the get-go!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have to leave for awhile.

Sounds as if heat and low humidity dries it up or turns the lubricant in the joints to sticky powder - or something.

Having it repaired with that in mind, would be ideal. This is not something for the casual... be sure to tell the repairer, also, that you use it in various locales/climates/conditions.

This case may be returned to, at any time, at

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/a1n9j-newer-nikkor-80mm-400mm-lens-barrel.html