Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have an older (serial no. 895915) Cyber-shot that has

I have an older (serial no. 895915) Cyber-shot that has stopped working. It started with the lens moving in and out by itself and now it had ceased to function. The battery was about half charged so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I put it in my pocket and within a couple of minutes it was became so hot it almost burned me. I removed the battery and it cooled down. Any suggestions?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Sony Cyber-shot camera. Serial number 895915. It's probably 15+ years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It began a few months ago when I started having trouble downloading pictures to my computer. I took it on a trip last week where the non-functioning occurred along with the overheating. I haven't tried anything other than removing the battery.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The camera might have gotten hot, but are you sure that it was not the battery itself that was getting hot? so I ask, how old was the battery in the camera, when the overheating and other symptoms occurred, please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't really know but it has to be at least 9 10 years old.

So the battery was old too?

Then try replacing the battery.

Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

(Of course, check for the first few minutes of charging up, if the new battery charges within the camera, to be sure it isn't overheating also!)

(If the battery charges outside of the camera, there is no worry of that sort involved, of course.)

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'll try a new battery and will contact you when I charge it and install it.

OK. Let's see what happens. (Thanks for letting me know.)

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
A new battery costs $17. As I have already spent $19, I don't want to spend an additional $17 just to see if it works. Do you have any other suggestions?

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i took your advice and cleaned up the battery terminals. The camera worked as far as seeing the photos I had already taken but it wouldn't take any additional photos and the lens is still stuck halfway out so it probably isn't the battery. I feel the camera is dead and since it is so old, I'm going to give up on it and purchase a new one. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

If my advice helped with the problem, and is worth paying for in your opinion, please rate my work and my answer, favorably. You could of course not rate at all if that seems right.