Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

WHEN POWERED ON I GET RED FLASHING LIGHT, 2008 MOD

Customer Question

WHEN POWERED ON I GET RED FLASHING LIGHT
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: 2008 MOD TH-50PZ85U SER LC88310759
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I GOT A NEW TV A YEAR AGO THIS ONE IN THE GARAGE I JUST THOUGHT B4 I TRASH IT ID CHECH
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO THANKS
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. That red light blinking is an error code used to tell a technician where the fault is occurring (Example: 2 blinks is a power supply issue, 7 blinks is generally the sustain boards, 10 blinks can be the mainboard, or power board - among other things). Are you at the set and able to let me know the specific pattern of blinks you get?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

Or are you just trying to see if there's a pushbutton fix for the set before deciding whether to keep it or get rid of it?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

Thanks. There is not a quick fix for this, that does not require component replacement in the set. Offhand the most common causes are a faulty power supply, mainboard, or sustain boards with the average cost being in the $350-$450 range for testing and repairs at a shop. The light only blinks when the set's self-diagnostics kick in due to a hardware failure internally I'm afraid.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

Please view my answer to your question posted above.