Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

The internal batteries had not been changed so the in-put

Customer Question

The internal batteries had not been changed so the in-put pad is dark---I used a 9-volt battery on the external area for that--I get a green 'proceed' prompt but the number pad does not show??
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Good question---it is two yrs old, I have the paper work here but don't see a model number. It just has the electronic input pad--no key etc.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried to do the external 9-volt procedure about a month ago, but interrupted--so tried today
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of??
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I just found the model # of Sentry Safe --SFW123TTC-
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The number pad won't light up until a button is pressed (even if power is applied), as far as most models of Sentry safe are concerned.

Did the old batteries leak at all, or look corroded or browned on the ends or terminals? if so, you need to clean the terminals in the battery compartment with cotton moistened with alcohol, until they are shiny again, then allow at least 5 minutes for drying off time, then try batteries again.

Does your safe have a key lock? if so, use the emergency key on it, to open the safe. That is what emergency keys are for, to help open a safe when it has an electronic keypad and the batteries have failed.

Let me know if there are other aspects of this problem that need fixing; if I have already answered the question well enough, please rate my answer. Thanks.