Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

The internal batteries had not been changed so the in-put

Customer Question

The internal batteries had not been changed so the in-put pad is dark---I used a 9-volt battery on the external area for that--I get a green 'proceed' prompt but the number pad does not show??
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Good question---it is two yrs old, I have the paper work here but don't see a model number. It just has the electronic input pad--no key etc.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried to do the external 9-volt procedure about a month ago, but interrupted--so tried today
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of??
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just found the model # of Sentry Safe --SFW123TTC-
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The number pad won't light up until a button is pressed (even if power is applied), as far as most models of Sentry safe are concerned.

Did the old batteries leak at all, or look corroded or browned on the ends or terminals? if so, you need to clean the terminals in the battery compartment with cotton moistened with alcohol, until they are shiny again, then allow at least 5 minutes for drying off time, then try batteries again.

Does your safe have a key lock? if so, use the emergency key on it, to open the safe. That is what emergency keys are for, to help open a safe when it has an electronic keypad and the batteries have failed.

Let me know if there are other aspects of this problem that need fixing; if I have already answered the question well enough, please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no key on this model, I really don't know if there was any corrosion on the batteries--I know it worked for about a year and a half--and (dummy me) I didn't think to change or ck the batteries. There is an external input for a 9 volt battery and I've tried that, but number pad won't light up for that either??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is the make and model; Sentry Safe ,Model SFW123TTC, Serial # A35152504*

Thank you for the information and the response.

The model # suggests that you do this:

When you used a 9 volt battery externally, was it like this procedure (for your model of safe):

Open the silicone cap found on the side

of the lock.

Insert a 9 volt battery into this slot.

Touch the keypad to wake up the safe.

Enter your five digit code.

Turn handle to open safe.

(DO NOT use rechargeable batteries or any other type of

non-alkaline battery, for this purpose.)

? Was this what you tried? if so, what result did you get? did the keypad light up, did the entering of your code result in the green 'proceed' light?