Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369

We are the owners of a home Sentry safe and we are entering

Customer Question

We are the owners of a home Sentry safe and we are entering the appropriate combination and the safe will not unlock. We are using the key to start the unlocking procedures, then entering the 4 digit combo into the digital pad and then pressing program/enter button and the safe will not open. The batteries are new and we need your assistance. I can not seem to find the owners manual that might give me insight.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Age is maybe 5 - 8 years old. Can not find the make and model since we do not have the manual. Is it somewhere on the outside of the safe?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just tried to open 1/2 hour ago We successfully opened it about 1 month ago. Other than trying to type in password ***** open we have tried no troubleshooting. We did replace the batteries, that was it.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I do not think so. Is the sequence to open, key in and turn, type in password ***** hit enter button? Just double checking
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Cher replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 8 days ago.

Hello again,

Can you please try looking near the upper door hinge for a badge-shaped sticker that contains both your model number and serial number (the model number is *****).

What type of key do you have? One with 'teeth' or one that is round and hollow and when turned, a cylinder or 'plunger' pops out in the keyhole?

What type of batteries did you use to replace the old ones? Alkaline, non--alkaline, rechargeable, etc.?

Where is the safe located, in your home? A cool, dry place or a warm, humid area?

Once I have your additional information, I will be better able to assist you. After you reply, it might take a while for me to send an answer, if I'm offline or helping another client, so your patience will be appreciated. Thanks!

Best wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 6 days ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you, so I wanted to give you additional information to help open your safe. If the key you have is round and hollow, put that in the keyhole, turn to pop out the cylinder, and then REMOVE the key. Then you can enter your combination on the electronic key pad.

Please check to make sure your batteries are installed correctly and are alkaline. If the above doesn't work, try another set of batteries, because even though they're new, they may have been sitting on a manufacturer's shelf for a while and this drained their power.

If you're positive about your combination, that's great! If you have any doubt, you can contact Sentry and request your factory set original combination. Please visit the site below and follow all instructions:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare/LostYourCombination.aspx

-------------

Please note that their Customer Service phone number is ***** listed on that page, if you need to call.

If it is online, I could send you a downloadable manual for your safe if you can find and provide me with the model number. You will need both the model and serial number to fill out the lost combo or any form, to get help from Sentry.

If you're sure of your combination and it has not been changed since you own the safe, you can use your key, enter your combo and turn down the handle within 4 seconds. Also, don't allow more than 5 seconds to elapse in between number entries on the panel.

The rubber gasket in the door may be stuck, due to humidity, as it swells in warm places and from age. You can take a rubber mallet or hammer with a towel wrapped around the head and hit the door above and below the keypad, then all around the edges of the door, concentrating on the upper left area. In addition, you can tilt the safe to the sides and front to back to dislodge any item inside that may be blocking the opening mechanism.

I hope you are able to open your safe and if not, call Sentry to troubleshoot, further.

Please let me know if you found my suggestions and answer helpful and rate positively so I am credited by the website for my assistance. Thanks! If not, do not rate negatively, but please click 'Reply' and I will be more than glad to continue our conversation.

Best wishes,

Cher