Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices
32989067

I'm really confused. I have an Echo and all I want to do it

Customer Question

I'm really confused. I have an Echo and all I want to do it say, "Alexa, turn on the lamp." Now which device do I need to purchase to make that happen? I don't need the plug that allow me to turn on the light from afar using my cell phone. I just want to walk in the room and tell Alexa to turn it on.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

For the WeMo switch, you connect it to your Light and then add it to the Alexa via an app in order to control it

This video I have for you will step you through this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qo3c0PCn24

Let me know please how you go

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was able to connect my cell phone to the switch although there is a red light on the switch which is blinking. The phone says, "connected to WeMo switch.363." However, it is still trying to connect to something (?) and then says it was "unable" to connect. I have no idea what it is unable to connect to seeing as it is connected to the switch. When I ask Alexa to scan for other devices she does so but then says nothing was discovered. She also makes reference to a bulb. Do I need one of those special bulbs for the lamp TOO? This is getting crazy and I don't have time now to work on this any further. It's Thanksgiving and I have things to do!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry. I don't have time to call now.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

You do not ask Alexa you have to do it via the App.

To avoid confusion I provided the film to do this, did you carefully go through it and follow the steps?

I repeated it again below