Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I just came back from vacation on 11/19/2016. I normally

Customer Question

I just came back from vacation on 11/19/2016. I normally don't lock my safe because I am always home. I am 82 years old and have been on hospice care since 12/24/2015. Today I tried to unlock my safe but it does not open. I know I have the right numbers because my daughter has the numbers and lives 2 doors down from me and she came over this morning and tried it and it did not work for her. It was working 2 weeks ago.
JA: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?
Customer: Nothing I can think of now
JA: I'm sorry but I'm not sure we have an expert who covers what you are looking for. Maybe if you give me more details I will find you a connection to someone who can help you.
Customer: Only I have had it a lot of years and this safe has numbers on the outside and always has opened in the past.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If your safe has a dial lock, you need a locksmith, quite simply - unless you are not sure you are turning the dial correctly to / past the numbers of the combination.

If your safe has a keypad, buttons, on the other hand, its battery may be dead.

Look on the safe for a keylock. It might be under a sliding cover, perhaps.

If there is a keylock on the safe, you need to find the Emergency Key to the safe, and use that to open it (that's what the emergency key is for, occasions when the battery that powers the lock/unlock functions has gone dead, and similar occasions.)

Usually the battery compartment for a safe is on the inside of the door (for obvious reasons.) Occasionally it is on the front of the door, usually in an inconspicuous place, and is not obviously there.

So in order to guide you further, or to give you more specific advice, I will need information about your safe. Is it made by Honeywell, American Eagle, or Sentry Safes, or some other maker?

And if you can tell me more about its appearance (what's on the door, whether it is a Fire Safe or a Gun Safe, etc.,), even if you cannot tell me its model # (the serial # is no object to me, by the way) then that would also help me advise you.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.