Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Re: soundbar SA HT-CT80 It turns itself off. Sometimes every

Customer Question

Re: soundbar SA HT-CT80 It turns itself off. Sometimes every 10 minutes, sometimes only once a day. Driving me crazy!
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: SONY, model number is ***** email. Serial number(###) ###-#### Don't know exact age, maybe 1 year. Bought at Dick Smith's.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: About 5 weeks. Had knowlegible sound person look at it. He thought it might be a heat issue, but it only does it somtimes, so - - - -.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

If yes, can you please post back with clear pictures of the power supply board; top for visual check of capacitors / parts and bottom/trace side for the solder conditions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a 74 year old widow with minimal electrical experience. Living in a very small town in Australia. Bought the thing at Dick Smith's in a neighbouring town, but of course it is now our of business closed. Not really considering doing it myself.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

I understand.

The only easy user doable tries would be:

• plug the soundbar into a different outlet;
  • check/replace the connecting cable.

Any and all others would be internal and of course would require repairs.

At some point, it may be more to your advantage to simply replace rather than repairs.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.