Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a fostex cr500 that is only used once a week fot an

Customer Question

I have a fostex cr500 that is only used once a week fot an hour for recording worship. During recording it will say time out on the display. The cd will will not eject then after finalizing for a good while, and it will also be blank. Im using the same maxell cd as i always do??
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Its a fostex cd-r/rw master recorder cr500. Its about 8 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: About 3 weeks. Couldnt see anything in manual that refered to timeout
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats all
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that 'timeout' means that some operation was attempted, and failed.

Since the discs came out blank, with nothing readable on them, then what was attempted, would appear to be writing to the disc.

If that's the case, there are two (or three) steps to be taken:

1. run a disc cleaning kit, or CD cleaning kit, in the Fostex's disc drive. See below for common examples of CD cleaning kits, which are cheap and available widely.

2. conclude that after 8 years or so of us, the CD recording drive in the Fostex has broken somehow, and the device will need repair - or, at your preference, replacement.

CD cleaning kits are like these, for example:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/349424/Maxell-CD-340-CD-Lens-Cleaner/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Computer_Tablet_Accessories-_-349424-VQ6-51194783636-VQ16-c-VQ17-pla-VQ18-online-VQ19-349424-VQ20-101647440836-VQ21--VQ22-624116521-VQ27-10575858596&adpos=1o5&creative=51194783636&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMfY06LZt9ACFc1KDQodpJEK5Q

or

https://jet.com/product/detail/020031efb246446faf8185a32a86f39f?jcmp=pla:ggl:b_nj_dur_gen_food_beverages_tobacco_a3_b1:food_items_condiments_sauces_hot_sauce_a3_other:na:PLA_648396892_39637733344_pla-163662190620:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&gclid=CJn747HZt9ACFYWfNwodJ9kFew&gclsrc=ds

KMart and Staples, among other major chains, also (used to, at least) carry these.

Note that a CD *DRIVE* cleaning kit, is not the same as a CD cleaner (which you can tell because it is much more expensive and has a motorized device you put the CD disc into) nor the same as a CD crack and scratch repair kit, which are both of them N/A to this problem, for sure (since you are using clean new discs, I think.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.