Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a sentry safe model G0135. The door came off it's

Customer Question

i have a sentry safe model G0135. The door came off it's hinges. when i put the door back on, the door will not close because it hangs too low. is there a bushing or grommet that fell off the hinge when the door came off?
JA: The gunsmith will know what to do. Is there anything else the gunsmith should be aware of?
Customer: when i put the door on and lay the safe flat on it's back the bolt mechanism works perfectly.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Indubitably, you have a grasp of the problem: A door that falls off a safe, has undoubtedly had its hinge-pieces come unscrewed. And since the bolts presumably had some bushing or washer bits in with them, then you should look about for such washers or bushings (more likely washers, really, of metal) of the right diameter.

Also look on the hinges as they are: are any washers still remaining? if so, even one, remaining washer, will be a guide as to what to look for (wherever the hinges fell off, more or less), or what to look for in a store to replace them.

There might also be - or be needed - some lock-washers! since just taking the hinges off would be way too easy a way to get into the safe, unless the hinges are lock-washered on.

Also... if your safe is still less than a year old, you might just report it to Sentry Safes. For a product of theirs to fail in such a spectacular way, is news they might need to know... and they might even offer within-warranty service on your safe, to repair the hinges and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Let me know what you think... and if you need further information, too.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Safe is greater than one year old. Senrty was contacted and were of no use. An internet search for assembly instructions and / or drawings was unsuccessful. The only parts inside the safe were the anchor bolts. It is highly probable that the missing parts while moving the safe. There are no bolts, washers or nuts associated with the hinges. All connections are welded with the exception of the slip fit between the hinge post and hinge block. The hinge is very simple. The top hinge and bottom hinge are similar. The difference lies in the length of the hinge pin. The lower hinge pin is longer than the upper hinge pin. The hinge consists of a block and pin. The safe cabinet has a metal block welded to the cabinet. The metal block has a hole drilled to accept the hinge pin. The hinge pin is welded to the door. Is there a parts list or exploded view of the safe?

I confess I have no access to such a parts list, diagram, or exploded view.

With my apologies, and in case another Expert here has the information you require, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category.