Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My SA-BT730 makes a click sound when pressing the power

Customer Question

My SA-BT730 makes a click sound when pressing the power button, like a relay trying to make contact, then clicks off. It will not power up. The control fuse is good, and if I disconnect the board with the big heat sink and fan, then the display lights will come on.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic SA-BT
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Ser. No GP0BA003385 A approximate mfg. date 2010
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Problem on a couple of attempts to power up yesterday before it finally worked. Not working today. Cooling fan does come on for about 2 sec. on attempt to power up.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 22 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That sounds as if there were an internal short inside the device.

However, if you disconnect speakers (and all extraneous equipment) from the sound dock, will it power up then? if so it is not internally damaged.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I have all externals disconnected, still will not power up. Can you tell me how to know which board or device may be shorted. With the board that houses the speaker connections and the cooling disconnected I get power on the display.

Have you disconnected the speaker wires from the device, also? a short in one of them would perhaps produce the problem.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
everything is disconnected from the device.

Then the device has an internal short.

Question is: How old is the device?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Mfg. 2010

Thanks... what I meant was, how long since you bought it, please?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It was Dec. 2010

OK, then it is out of warranty.

What electronics servicing experience, skills, and tools would you say you have?

Basic, intermediate, moderately good, or Expert ?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I am an HVAC controls contractor, so pretty high.

Good.

Then to figure out which board is bad, pull one board out at random from the device (with it disconnected from all other devices) and then power it On each time, until some major function (that is still detectable despite pulling out boards) is detectable as active when you push the power-On switch.

Each time, unplug it from the power again before removing anything else.

Inspect every board you remove, of course, for burnt-out fuses, or burnt-looking components, or even brown spots on reverse sides of circuit boards.

(Note: if board has 'chips' on it, be sure not to touch any part of the board at all, except the edges, or you may blow-out the chips. This is the most basic of anti-static precautions, and if you don't already know this, you are by no means at the high level of electronics repair skills.... I say this to help in case it is needed, and just in case it is needed.)