Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

Imhave a Panasonic CD stereo system with 5 tracks of space

Customer Question

Imhave a Panasonic CD stereo system with 5 tracks of space for Discs and when I attempt to play the discs the system tells me "no Disc". Is there anything I can do tofu this problem?, or find a technician locally?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Model SC-PM19, or SC-PM193 Panasonic CD stereo System. About 5years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It went wrong about a year ago. I figured it was ruined and let it alone. But I realized what a great machine it is I decided to investigate fixing it. I did nothing by way of fixing other then to try to run the Discs
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes..The radio works and so does the tape recorder. I have access to the 5 disk tracks b ut no response.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 28 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 28 days ago.

Initially,

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed on options.