Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075

This is about kitchen stuff. Seems last year cans are

Customer Question

This is about kitchen stuff. Seems last year cans are changing so hand held can openers are becoming problematic. Last one lasted week and died trying to open can of chile? What is goinig on and more important suggestions for useful can opener?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 29 days ago.

Good evening Scott,

Can openers seem to become more handheld as one can be placed in a drawer and not on the counter as to save space. I remember growing up with an opener on the kitchen counter but today, the handheld is the given instrument to use.

Finding an opener that can handle the workload without wearing out is key so went ahead this evening to research what is reviewed as the better models on the market today.

1. Publication "Fine Cooking" reports on what to look for in a opener as well as brands to consider:

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/smooth-edge-can-openers.aspx

2. Consumer Reports reviewed a few years ago but two models that I know are well made are OXO and Kuhn Rikon. I own the Kuhn Rikon for years and it is a high quality item that does the job on all types of cans.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/01/who-makes-the-best-can-opener-it-depends/index.htm

I hope that the information provided was found helpful as please let me know of any additional questions/concerns you might have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful tonight.

Take care,

Michael