Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

The power was out in my building for 9 hrs. Now my phone is

Customer Question

the power was out in my building for 9 hrs. Now my phone is giving me grief. It keeps telling me the line is on hold and I can't get a dial tone.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Two or three years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just since he power went back on. I've tried pressing lots of buttons. It tells me to press TALK , but that doesn't work.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did something last time it happened and it worked, I just can't remember what I did.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It happens with all of them. They all say " Check tel line" I've had this happen before with a power outage and I've manged to figure it out somehow, but not now. No system signal.
'
'
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a panasonic KX - TG6423CPK
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for confirming,

it is quite possible the phone service went out and is still down, I'd suggest checking with your neighbors to see if theirs work.

Otherwise the one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:

1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

If the problem persists after this

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just called the phone company and it is a cable problem, not a phone problem. Thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

That is what I had expected, thank you for checking on that. They will need to send a tech out to repair the equipment and restore service on their end.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,