Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

I have an ATAS-120 on order. I am going to mount it on my

Customer Question

I have an ATAS-120 on order. I am going to mount it on my motorhome, and want to mount it as high as possible without exposing it to damage. How high above the highest fixed poit on my RV can the top of the antenna safely be? In other words, how flexible is the whip?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: A brand new ATAS-120 antenna
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't think you are reading my posts
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
That is a Yaesu ATAS-120 antenna. The highest point on my motorhome is the top of the satellite dome. I want to mount the antenna as high as possible for best performance without it becoming the limiting factor for road vertical clearance or damaging the antenna.
Expert:  Rusty replied 26 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 26 days ago.

It is not very flexible at all. I would suggest looking for a mount that has a spring in case you hit something with the antenna. Also check with your highway patrol for maximum height specifications.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
When you say not very flexible at all, are you talking about the bottom rigid motor section or the top wire whip (which is what I was asking about)? One link I followed provided said the whip was so weak it bent in the wind at driving speeds. It provided directions for installing a spring at either bottom or top of the motor section, both of which requires modifications which would void the warranty.
Expert:  Rusty replied 25 days ago.

The whip. I don't know about driving speeds, maybe big rain drops had something to do with it. What I'm suggesting is getting a mount that either has a spring at the base to add flexibility, or one that will allow you to flip it horizontal while you drive.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Springs and fold-over adapters and mounts are generally 3/8" - 24, not compatible with the UHF connection on the Yaesu ATAS-120 antenna. I do not want to modify the antenna in a way that would void any warranty, as would be necessary to adapt it to a spring. Further, a fold-over would not be useful for mobile operation. Raindrops are not the issue. If you have ever observed a whip antenna on a vehicle operating at highway speed, it will bow with the force of the wind, how much dependent on the speed and the antenna. It is the whip component of the ATAS-120 that I was asking about. However, at this point my inquiry is moot as I have already installed a bracket on my motorhome for the antenna mount. It should put the motor component of the antenna well below roof level and the whip extending no more than about 18" above the roof, only about 3" above the highest existing solid point, the satellite dome.