Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369

Our sentry safe will not open with code, s3877 and

Customer Question

Our sentry safe will not open with code
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: s3877 and AJ-339612
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 3 days and yes changed batteries and waited over night before trying again
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No we need help soon!!!
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
How long does this system take to get us some help???
Expert:  Cher replied 29 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 29 days ago.

My sincerest apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer. I recently signed on and was notified of your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

I know how frustrating this situation can be; I've worked with many safe owners and helped them resolve their problems.

First, even though you changed your batteries already, I'd do it again, with fresh, non-alkaline batteries or lithium batteries for electronics (never rechargeable). Make sure there is no corrosion (rust/leaked battery acid) in your batter holder. If you see any, gently wipe it away with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol, dry and insert the new batteries.

If your safe comes with a key (round/hollow) to use with the combination, use the key to release the plunger inside, then REMOVE the key before entering your combination. Don't allow more than 5 seconds to pass, before number entries and turn your handle down within 4 seconds of entering your combination.

**before you start, make sure the handle is completely horizontal**

Here is some information from the manual, which I will include, below:

Troubleshooting

• If electronics are not functioning, replace batteries first
(behind battery cover) as described on page one of this
guide.

• If electronics are functioning and you cannot get into safe:
- Pull handle up
- Follow instructions for opening your lock.
• You must use both the key (if equipped) and the electronic
code to open the safe if the key lock cylinder is pushed in.

Delay mode
Enters a two-minute delay mode after an invalid code
has been entered three consecutive times. In this mode,
the lock cannot be activated.

-------------------------

Here is a copy of your downloadable manual:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/OwnersManuals/513023.pdf

------------

Sometimes, when changing the batteries don't resolve the problem, there's something wrong with the opening mechanism or the handle. To help with this situation, take a rubber mallet or hammer with a towel wrapped around the head, and hit the door above and below the electronic keypad and all around the edges of the safe, including the top, plus, put pressure on the upper left hand corner of the safe--push your whole body into it, as if you were closing it--because very often, the rubber gasket in the door will swell with humid conditions.

You can also try tipping the safe to the sides and the back, in case something inside is blocking the opening mechanism and you can shift the contents in this way.

I hope my suggestions work, and if not, you will need to call a local locksmith or safe technician to work on the safe, hands-on, to get it open, hopefully, without ruining it.

I wish you much good luck with your safe and please let me know how things are going. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Best wishes,

Cher