John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

I have a Casio XJ-A140 projector. The image from the

Customer Question

I have a Casio XJ-A140 projector. The image from the projector shows several black and white speckles. How can I get rid of those? Or have it repaired?
JA: What's the make/model of your camera? How old is it?
Customer: Casio XJ-A140
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has been that way for the last several years and is getting worse with each usage. I am taking the projector apart trying to get to the internal lense to clean it but no luck so far.
JA: Anything else you want the camera expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The projector works fine except for the speckles
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Whether you can get rid of the black and white speckles easily, depends upon what kind of visual flaw they are, in the projector's systems.

Now the first question to ask is:

- are they discrete pixels, of a black color or a white color? or, are they larger than one-pixel size?

I have to ask, because pixel problem cannot be 'cleaned', not usually. Not in a projector based on an LCD with discrete pixels in it... when they break, the LCD is pretty much in need of replacement.

Does it look like that? please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No they don't look like pixels. They are random black and white specs. Almost like dust. I cannot open the lens to blow it out. The lens is in a protective tube.

If the lens assembly is sealed, don't try to open it. The logic is simple: if it is sealed, it is sealed to keep dust out. If it isn't sealed, on the other hand, and is easily opened, that's probably where the dust is, and where it needs to be cleaned out from.

Roughly how many specks or speckles are they?

And can you think of any reason why your projector would have dust getting into it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A couple of thousand black and white specks. The specks are random in size. They are on a blue background

I honestly do not know what is wrong... if the blue background is normal, though, it might be dust intruding into the optical system.

The question is

1. is the projector stored, or used, in a dusty environment?

2. is the filter near the fan, clogged with dust? if so, that would explain how the dust intruded into it... a dust-saturated filer could be at fault.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That makes sense. It is usually stored in a bag in the drawer and used once a month. The filter has never been cleaned.

Well then: first, you need to clean (or ideally, replace) the dust-saturated filter. Not just for the dust's sake, but also to prevent overheating.

Then second, you need to blow out the whole projector, ideally with an air compressor, once the obvious dust that is easily reached is cleaned out, and the dusty filter is entirely elsewhere for the moment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Easier said than done. I took the covers off and I tried to get to the lens but it is sealed in a tube chamber. I would have to totally dismantle the projector to get to the lens. I would have to hope I could get it back together.

Remember what I said, please:

The filter is far more important for now.