Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The HDMI output just disappered! It's a Samsung 53" Plasma

Customer Question

The HDMI output just disappered!
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: It's a Samsung 53" Plasma TV... it's worked for years, but suddenly the HDMI is gone. I've done tons of troubleshooting...
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't fired up the SC-09 in awhile, just today I noticed the problem. New HDMI cables...
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried component video and that works...
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, So you're saying you can't get an HDMI signal from your Pioneer to the TV is that correct

How about as a test if you connect a cable box or something right to the TV via HDMI, does the set display then?

Is the issue only when the Pioneer is inserted in the signal?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that's correct.
I haven't tried a direct connection to the TV.
So far, it's only when the Pioneer receiver is connected to the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay, to narrow down the culprit can you connect something besides the receiver like a Blu Ray player, Cable Box, etc. just to see if you can get a signal on the TV ( to rule out the receiver as being the cause of the problem)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay... just a second or two...
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay... I connected my XBox... HDMI is coming through, so it's the output of the Pioneer SC-09TX receiver.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is a $7000 MSRP receiver... and no HDMI output! Damn!!!
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay thanks. This isn't uncommon, and regretfully we see a lot of Pioneer receivers prematurely lose the HDMI out. In many cases it's a processor failure. Have you tried a full reset of the receiver yet (reset to factory defaults)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I haven't. How do I do that?
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

I'm pulling up instructions for that now. Will be right back.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, thanks!
...and BTW... I'm a retired senior living on nothing but Social Security. Henceforth, I live in the Arizona desert... in a tent. So things aren't easy for me. I get $4 a day for my one meal, so I hope you understand.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In other words, PLEASE help me keep this to a minimum...
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome. As far as billing, I'm not privy to any of that as I'm an independent tech - not a site employee.

Resetting the system
Use this procedure to reset all the receiver’s settings to
the factory default. Use the front panel controls to do this.
1 Switch the receiver into standby.
2 While holding down the SETUP button on the front
panel, press STANDBY/ON.
The display shows RESET NO.
3 Press the ENTER button on the front panel.
4 Select RESET using <</>>, then press the ENTER
button on the front panel.
The display shows RESET? OK.
5 Press ENTER to confirm.
OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver
has been reset to the factory default settings.
• Note that all settings will be saved, even if the
receiver is unplugged.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page only.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Did you have any luck?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

If the HDMI out on the receiver still isn't working, I would suggest trying another HDMI cable as well, just to rule the cable out again. Beyond that it would require repairs/replacement of the receiver's Mainboard to fix the issue. This is on average a $300-$400 repair on this unit.

However a suitable workaround, would be to run all HDMI cabled "Sources" directly to the TV, and then run an Optical cable from the TV's "Digital Audio Out" to one of the optical Inputs on the Pioneer to produce the audio.

Other than that, if you wanted to have the receiver repaired, you can use the link below to locate an Authorized Pioneer Service Center:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/PUSA/template.LOCATOR_MAXIMIZE/v4-where-to-buy-nav-item/?javax.portlet.tpst=be52d673d760c90094dab3f552768a0c_ws_MX&javax.portlet.prp_be52d673d760c90094dab3f552768a0c_viewID=ascview&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&vgnextoid=35233d3c95b3b210VgnVCM1000003367a8c0RCRD

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Beyond that, I'm sorry for the bad news if the unit still is not working.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, it didn't work whatsoever. And I have two HDMI cables connected from the receiver to the TV, so it's not the cable either. I guess I'm out of luck. Thank anyway...
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. That's unfortunately all you can try on a user level, beyond sending the receiver out for repairs at that link I posted, or bypassing the receiver for video - and then just passing the audio (via optical) back to it.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.