Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Garmin. When I turn it on the garmin display lights

Customer Question

I have a Garmin. When I turn it on the garmin display lights up but then turns back off. What's the problem?.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Please plug the Nuvi into either the car charger (accessory switched ON) or the PC and then press and hold the power button on the unit for 10 full seconds, release and wait a minute. Let me know if you get any response from the screen at all please.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

You can try those steps up to three times if the first does not work. This is a "Soft Reboot" per Garmin and can often times fix the issue you're having. Let me know the results and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If the unit fails to power up using EITHER power source (Car or PC) even after trying the reboot steps up to three times, then this would indicate a faulty battery in the Garmin and would require replacement of the battery. The link below is where you can purchase the battery and also view a video that outlines how to replace it yourself (if this is something you're looking to tackle on a DIY level):

https://www.newpower99.com/Garmin_Nuvi_2797LM_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/garmin-nuvi-2797lm.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwkdHABRCHiZ2gs6yGh50BEiQAA91Wlvz_hVMjGHsRyaYoqWflAQZ3sMoAiDXHDBqaQFUv91gaAnbn8P8HAQ

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Alternatively if that is not something that you're looking to tackle yourself, then you can also request an out of warranty repair through Garmin at the link below if you'd like:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/repair.jsp

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have already tried that. It happened once before and eventually it came back up. so are you saying I need another battery for my Garmin
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Okay, those steps are the only thing on a user level you can try. Are you saying you've already tried OTHER charge cables (meaning your car and also say, a PC)?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Also if you're saying this happened once before, then this changes the diagnosis and it would not be a battery issue but rather a processor issue (if the battery were the root cause then it would not have come back up before when it happened). So, that would require repairs or replacement of the GPS, since this indicates the issue goes beyond the battery.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What a racket Garmin has. I have $36.00 for an email and then another $26.00 for you to call me. That's bad business. If the astronauts were in an outer space and had equipment failure would you ask them for this.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

This isn't Garmin, and I'm not asking you for any money the site does that automatically. I'll opt out now, and wish you luck with your Garmin.