John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

My father passed away 04/08/2016 and I now have his safe I

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** My father passed away 04/08/2016 and I now have his safe I can't find a combo for this safe
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: not sure but front bottom left I have number. (###) ###-####JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't have the combonation for it
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: it's manual
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There may be no good solution to the situation. But there is one possible good solution, involving the simple issue or question:

Look on the front of the safe for a keylock... it may perhaps be under a sliding hatch.

If the safe has a keylock, that is for the 'emergency key' - which opens the safe at a time like this, when the normal means of opening will not work.

Let me know what you find, and what you think. Also let me know whether the safe has a turning dial, or a button/keypad on it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello thanks for the info. It does not have a key or key slot to open it. This safe has a turn dial. You think I have to drill it? I know it's empty but I wanted to use it at me business.

Drilling it will make it useless.

If your father left no trace nor record of the (probably three-number) combination for the dial lock, and there is no alternate means of opening such as a key-lock, then you have to (since a Safe is a Safe, and not easily opened short of noisily destroying it in any of various ways) conclude that you cannot re-use this, in all likelihood.

A locksmith, if you called one in, would be an expensive way of verifying that, essentially.

You have the most hope of re-use by a careful examination of all records (incl. scraps of paper perhaps, or notebook entries) that your father left.