Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a digisender and the red transmitter light is

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a digisender and the red transmitter light is flashing (normally stays red) - so can't watch tv!
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The tv is less than 10 years old Samsung, seems to be fine just shows 'no source'
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just today - tried switching everything off and then tried moving the digisender around
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi I've paid - how do I get assistance?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That sounds as if the ultimate source for the TV signal that is to go from the digisender to your Samsung TV, is not present. What TV service do you have, actually, that is supplying the digisender (and the Samsung TV via the digisender) ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a sky box - but have a digisender in 2 rooms to connect
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The digisender cable runs to the TV and also one into the back of the sky box. I haven't changed anything or unplugged anything - out of the blue the digisender transmitting light is flashing (normally is green unless I turn the power off)

OK. But the Sky service must be lacking, then. Check the Sky box, for its status lights.

If you will, if all looks 'normal' on the Sky box, then unplug it.

And wait 5 minutes.

Then after that much time (or longer) plug the Sky box back in.

Wait 2 minutes.

See if the Digisender is now working, then see if the TV is working.

Let me know how it goes and what you see, so that I can advise you further or - if it is a success, what I recommended to you, so that I can close this case. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've already tried turning everything off - for 10 'minutes and on again. Sky box goes green

Check the connection from Sky box to Digisender, then. Re-seat cables, what cables are involved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unplugged all cables and plugged back in - its HDMI cables
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only change in whole set up has been digisender transmitter light flashing and won't turn off or go green

HDMI Cables can be bad (esp. if cheap) or go bad.

Do you have a spare? or can you swap cables with each other at least?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just tried swapping - no change. Sky box is green and I know TV works as can play DVD

OK, then. Digisender is complaining about no signal source.

Defective HDMI cables eliminated (hopefully) as cause, because swapped out, and re-seated too.

Sky box has been turned Off for a while. (After swapping cables you might need to power the Sky box off for 5 minutes again, and try it again. Swapping cables can upset a system, after all. Some power-down time again might help at this point.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried turning the whole thing off at the mains for 10 minutes earlier - should I try again!

If you swapped the HDMI cables since then - yes!

Also power down the Digisender for 5 minutes... the TV isn't of much moment at the moment, so it can stay On.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All powered down for 5 mins and turned back on - no change
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Transmitter still flashing red

That's a shame!

Well, we got it to the point where there are two possible interpretations left (aside from the odd possible case where *both* HDMI cables are defective... unlikely of course...):

1. you have a defective Digisender.

2. your Sky service is down.

I advise you to check on your Sky service, by calling Sky, asking them to verify that there is no service outage and your account is in good shape. (I hope I'm not talking nonsense here... I am presuming that Sky service is not just 'its taken out of the air its free' service. That it has a status and a company to call and so forth.)

If Sky service is not down, you probably have a defective Digisender I would guess. The light on the Sky box is green, after all. (Maybe that's just the box, not the Sky service itself, that is indicated as to its status.)

If the Sky service *is* down for now, you need to (have Sky) get it Up and Running again.

I see the case this way. If you have anything else to mention about the situation that might change my opnion, let me know, please.

(And, If this answers the whole problem/question of course, then please rate my answer if that's how it is.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok - I guess I'll need to get the digisender checked out

Check the Sky service too (unless it's a free-service and no company and no account of yours to access it etc.)

That sounds sensible. We've done just about everything else that could be needed, I think.

If you're done with the case, please rate my work and my answer(s). Thanks. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im subscribed to sky, I'll check service tomorrow otherwise will have to replace digisender. Can I wait to rate as haven't found solution? Thanks for your help

That's fair - come back to this case once your sure how it went and have the full context of my work and my opinions and estimations of the situation etc. etc.... at this web page:

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/9z9mk-digisender-red-transmitter-light.html

Thanks. Good luck. Enjoy your Sunday (international date line time zones permitting.)