Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My Garmin swimming watch is not counting the laps

Customer Question

My Garmin swimming watch is not counting the laps correctly.it misses laps.i always swim 40 laps of 25 meters to complete 1000 meters.however when my total shows 800 or 850 and I press save it shows 1000!this is very confusing.how can I fix it?
Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Dan, the Garmin Swim can occasionally miss lengths for some users.

Make sure you do a strong push off the wall and a long glide phase so that the watch detects your movements. It may also help to wear the watch on the arm that does not take the first stroke after you turn.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

The watch works by monitoring how your arms/body move using accelerometers. When you swim laps, Your arms moves in a regular pattern with each stroke. When you get to the wall, your arms stop moving, you make a turn (open or flip doesn't matter) and you push the wall in the opposite direction. This change in pattern is how the watch detects when you complete a lap.