Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

I'm having a problem playing my DVD in my receiver it keeps

Customer Question

I'm having a problem playing my DVD in my receiver it keeps going to AU X what does that mean
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic essay – PT 965 disc changer
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just switched out the reserve Sievers because the last one was doing the same thing and now this new one I just got from eBay is doing exactly the same thing
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't have the manual
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me the complete model of your receiver?
Which player, and how are they connected?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Panasonic S a – PT960 5 disc changer wireless rear
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Okay thank you for clarifying,

do you get the video playing through properly?

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Are you able to play any other input through it (cable/satellite, etc)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The sound works, the DVD will start for a second then goes to AU x
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what does this mean?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Could you test something for me, and try to play just a music cd, and let me know if that goes to aux there too?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No the same thing
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for checking,

the AUX indication means it is switching to the auxillary input mode (where you'd hook up a cable box, ipod, etc).

Can you take the batteries out of the remote and see if it works any better that way (just use the front panel buttons to play/start)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did that and no go
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, which is what processes the signals and manages the inputs. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This system is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs are simply not feasible as parts are not available. This is the biggest downside of this type of system, as once a single part fails, the entire system becomes useless.

While it could be fixed, you'd be in the $300+ range for repairs, assuming used parts and components could be found.

However replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new and updated system with a fresh warranty in the same price range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a newer receiver and it's doing the same thing the old receiver was doing!
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You mean you purchased it recently?
This is a fairly common problem with this model, resulting from faulty eeprom on the main board,

even if a newer purchase, this is still an 8 year old model and has the same type of hardware issues inherent to it, regardless of actual use.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's the hdmi cable, try an other line of work
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

The hdmi cable would not cause that, you said it was happening even with just the internal dvd player, correct? That makes it an internal issue.