John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

I have a Gateway laptop NE56r41u. Two nights ago, I turned

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Gateway laptop NE56r41u. Two nights ago, I turned my laptop on. (It had been charging at this point.) It immediately said 3% power left, and battery icon turned gold and then red. It then turned off. When I tried to turn back on, the power light blinked blue a few times and turned off. I couldn't get it turn back on after that. I thought, okay it must be the battery because I purchased laptop in 2013. I bought a replacement battery from Batteries Plus here in town. He told me it was compatible for my laptop. I charged laptop over night with new battery and today I tried to turn on and power light and fan came on for a few seconds, but no longer blinking, then it turned off. I tried the troubleshooting to reset battery by taking unplug a/c adapter, took battery out, pressed power button for 30 seconds, but battery back in and turn it on. It didn't work. Blue light and fan come on for a few then turns off. Upon looking at the new battery I purchased, it says Duracell 11.1 V 7800mAh 87WH Li ion. Googled replacement battery for my NE56r series, it says it needs a 10.8 v li ion battery 4400mAh/48WH. Is this why it still won't turn on? Is the battery I purchased the wrong size.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 14 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the first battery was charging but said 3 %... then perhaps it wasn't really charging.

Oh, yes, batteries do fail.

But the new one?

Try powering On the laptop with NO battery in it, neither old nor new. Just the power adapter or AC Adapter or power cord. Does it turn On even for a moment ?

- if it does not, you have a defective AC Adapter/charger, most likely.

- if it does... something else is wrong.

Check the AC Adapter for signs of repeated bending of the cords, or fraying, stress, looseness in its socket on the laptop.

Also think back as to whether the charger/AC Adapter cord has ever been tripped over, or otherwise stressed.

And also think: are you the type who rolls or coils up his AC Adapter cords, tightly, repeatedly, for neatness sake?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay, I tried that. No, it did not power on at all. Let me add that I tried another adapter from a Toshiba laptop I have and that didn't power it on also. Nothing happened with either cord. Is there a difference between the two? Do I need one specifically for a Gateway?

The power adapter has to be good for the voltage rating and the wattage rating and have the right plug type also.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
okay. you know what? I have been messing with this problem all day. Its almost midnight here and I'm exhausted. Just charge me the $5 and I'm done for today. My head hurts and just can't do this anymore today. Thank you

You can resume OK tomorrow! or another day.

(It sounds as if another power adapter of the right voltage, wattage, and plug type, would be the thing to try sometime.)

You can resume any time at

and thanks for asking your question here at