Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

I have a Sony Stereo with a built in CD Player I have

Customer Question

Hi I have a Sony Stereo with a built in CD Player I have decided to place it out in my Garage on Shelves (Plywood) These appear to possibly be the reason it will not Play, & the Pop Up saying that *No *CD is coming up upon hitting Play, & of course it has a CD in the system. Would this create this sort of a problem for the CD Player. If so, what is your Suggestion to make the surface level? Thanks! Maureen EMail ***@******.***
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

Hello Maureen,

Being on an unlevel surface could cause issues if severely tilted, but that is not the likely cause of the problem.

This type of problem is most often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.