Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

OLD SENTRY SAFE V360, SERIA 396428 IS NOT OPENING WITH KEY

Customer Question

OLD SENTRY SAFE V360, SERIA 396428 IS NOT OPENING WITH KEY AND PROPER COMBO. HOW CAN I GET IT OPEN TO RETRIEVE TITLE TO SELL OUR VAN?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: SENTRY V360, SERIAL NUMBER M396528. SEVERAL YEARS
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: THE LAST FEW WEEKS. I JUST KEPT THINKING I HAD MIS-TYPED THE COMBINATION
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Greg. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The first step in this is to ensure that the batteries are fresh. You would not believe how many times that it the issue as, if the batteries are low, then the safe will not have enough power to move the metal bars in the safe to release. It is often not unusual for the low battery alert to not show, especially if a non-lithium battery is being used.

I always recommend that you use lithium batteries (as opposed to alkaline) as they are made for electronics and keep their constant charge till the end. Alkaline batteries lose power over time and, even though they may show they still have power, are weaker than needed.

If you have a round combination area, turn from the 12pm to 2pm position and remove the front of the battery area. Replace the batteries then replace the cover by turning from the 2 pm to 12 pm position. Try to open again as normal.

If you have a rectangular area, use a pen tip or a paperclip to push in on the button in the lower rectangular area. While pushing it in, slide off the front cover to expose the batteries. Replace the batteries and then replace the cover. Try again to open.

Reply back if you have any issue or it does not solve your problem. If this gets the safe open for you, be sure to rate/submit my response when satisfied so that I receive credit for my help today.

:-)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did that. Still won't open
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Enough money already. Any other suggestions?

Does it sound like it is trying to open? It might be the actuator - try this

Take a rubber mallet (or hammer wrapped in a towel) - give 3-4 solid strikes on each corner of the safe door as well as above and below the combination area (being very careful not to hit the pad itself). Then try to open - it might take a few tries.

As long as batteries are fresh and you are using the correct combination this will often be the culprit (the bar inside - actuator - is stuck and it needs to be released).

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, nothing

When was the last time it opened correctly? Are you using the master combination or one that you created later? If not the master one that came with the safe do you still have that you can use (as user ones do erase at times if battery issue) - it would be on the manual.

Are there any lights coming on or does it seem to be working as normal and you can hear it try to open but it just wont?