Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

I change my batteries on one of my phones and I cannot see

Customer Question

I change my batteries on one of my phones and I cannot see the screen. The screen is blank. There is nothing on it.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 2 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Since I put new batteries in it. I have read the manual through and through.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The batteries that I had before i changed my batteries is Ni-MH Right under neath it said BK-40AAABU 1.2V Min. 400 mAh Size AAA
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base and START with KX-TG (but not have an "A" in it - which is for the cordless handsets).

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

3) Did the handset work well (had a display) BEFORE replacing the batteries?

4) Have you attempted to CHARGE the handset - since the batteries were replaced?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My model number is ***** S I have 5 handset with this model. Yes, My phone display worked before I change the battery for phone#4. The battery I had in it was Ni-MH underneath states BK 40AAABU 1.2 V min 400 m Ah size AAA
The new bateries what I mentioned above except states 700 m Ah size AAA. I charged the battery. The phone works but I cannot see my display with the date and time. It's completely blank.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

As mentioned above, the KX-TGA models are for the cordless handsets only.

The SYSTEM model should have a format if KX-TGxxxx - where xxxx is a four-digit number.

In any case, when you changed the batteries (you did replace BOTH batteries - correct), did you notice ANY "corrosion" or "dirt" - from the previous batteries?

One more thing: What is the AGE of this system?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response from my last note, but wanted to send the following information before I sign off for the night.

In my experience, MOST of the time when the display blanks out, it is caused by either failed display OR a loose connection (perhaps cause by battery leakage) inside the handset. And when these come into the shop, the cost of repair (parts and labor) is usually more than purchasing a replacement handset.

So if you absolutely need to have this 1 of 5 handsets to work, I would recommend getting a replacement handset and then register that replacement to the main base unit.

As a reference, I have a link below to the search results I got on Amazon when searching for this particular handset.

Click Here --> http://amzn.to/2dujNpz

NOTE: The last LETTER you may see represents the COLOR of the handset (B=Black, S=Silver, etc.).

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)