Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

I purchase a printer from staples and it Iam haveing trouble

Customer Question

i purchase a printer from staples and it Iam haveing trouble with it it might still be under warranty what do i need to do/
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 22 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 22 days ago.

Hello Megan,

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. Most of the recent HP models have very poor construction quality and parts, often only lasting a year or two.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Of course if you bought it less than a year ago then it would be under the factory warranty and you can file a claim with them but based on the manufacture year that is unlikely.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Do you need more help with this, Megan?