Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My coolpix p520 won't turn on. Have charged 2 batteries. Has

Customer Question

my coolpix p520 won't turn on. Have charged 2 batteries. Has happened before but was temporary. Please advise. Green light comes on some times but screen doesn't. Thanks RW
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It is a camera, Nikon Coolpix P520
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: for a month. I have removed the battery and the sd card and recharged. I have also used a friend's charger and his batteries which work fine in his but not in mine.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

Is there any sign of a problem when you look into the battery compartment? a problem that happened before but which was temporary, is one that might be owing to a loose connection, breakage, loose wire or debris, etc. So looking into the battery compartment is advisable.

Let me know what happens, and what you find out.

Also, let me know please: How old is your camera?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cleaned terminals but not dirty. Camera about 4 yrs old.

Does the camera still show not signs of life at all?

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?

Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?

Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did drop it but it worked fine for at least a week after that.

Dropping a camera usually damages it fairly soon. If not, then it has been weakened and will fail by and by.

The camera will require repair, for sure.

Do you need instructions on getting it to a local shop that fixes these types of Canon camera?

Or, how to get in touch with Canon Repair ?

(If you dropped it, then it may have voided its warranty, by the way. Even if it is under 1 year old... I'm sorry to say, but that may be how it goes.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Russell.

1-800-OK-CANON is the number to call to engage Canon Repair... you can ask them for an estimate on the repair before committing to it being repaired.

There is also UnitedCamera, and PrecisionCamera, which have websites by that name, and most probably offer an estimate on the cost of repairing this model of camera.

If this answers your question fully and well, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thanks.