Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Is there a way to get a RX-905V Amp fixed?

Customer Question

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

On these older JVC surround receivers, when the sound cuts out to "nada" (zip), it occurs when the speaker output transistors fail. These are soldered onto the output PCB and then thermally coupled with heat sink grease to the internal heat sink in the receiver. So, this can be fixed - and it would entail a technician to de-solder and mechanically remove the old outputs from the unit and then replace them with new ones. Unfortunately, the average cost for this type of repair generally hits close to $175 parts and labor, which is quite a bit of money for this receiver (keeping in mind it can be replaced with a brand new model for almost the same cost).

However if you'd like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.stereorepair.com

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Alternatively, an entry-level surround receiver - like the Sony at the link below, can be purchased for right around $200, and might be money better spent in the long run:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STDH550/Sony-STR-DH550.html?tp=179

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Please keep in mind rating me does not close the question in any way- it simply ensures I am paid for my time spent trying to help you. You can follow up at any time at no additional cost.