Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices

I think I pluged my laptop charger into my garmin Rino 530

Customer Question

I think I pluged my laptop charger into my garmin Rino 530 HCx it won't start up.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 26 days ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This can be an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Garmin and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the unit.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Did not work!
Expert:  Richard replied 26 days ago.

Are any lights showing at all when you connect the charger?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Last night I had a solid light on one battery and a light for one second , when plugged in to the charger on the other battery . Today I have the one second light on both batteries. Nothing on the Garmin.
Expert:  Richard replied 26 days ago.

It is the internal power supply on the mainboard that has faulted. It is very likely you did connect a charger with a higher voltage (Laptop chargers are) and this will have burnt it out. You likely also damaged the batteries, but you need to stop connecting it now and replace the unit to avoid any personal damage in the event (if left connected for extended periods of time) it starts to overheat.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Do you know of a repair service that can repair it? Also there is not anything getting hot.
Expert:  Richard replied 26 days ago.

It is not economically feasible to repair as the cost of the mainboard plus a limited warranty would exceed the value of the unit, which is why no companies offer this type of repair.

I am not saying it will get hot straightaway Zac, I am only indicating that when you damage the power supply in the manner you have, it is advise to not have it connected as there is a good chance that it can end up overheating.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Since the battery was hooked up , and the laptop charger was only hooked up to the battery , do you think that the battery might be bad and not the Garmin?
Expert:  Richard replied 26 days ago.

No, as the Garmin would work if connected via the cable directly as then it goes first to the Garmin and then to the battery. You always know the battery is at fault if it works on the mains but not on the battery.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank's is there any way that I can save my wave points?
Expert:  Richard replied 26 days ago.

No sorry (and sorry for all the bad news but I need to be correct and realistic in my replies) but with no power being delivered there is no way to engage the memory.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thanks :)
Expert:  Richard replied 26 days ago.

you're welcome

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you