Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Healthrider R65 treadmill. It had been working

Hi. I have a Healthrider R65 treadmill. It had been working fine. Now as soon as press a speed key, it runs for an instant and then stops.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

What happens when the machine stops - does it display an error code, or does the display go blank?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The display looks normal. The timer keeps going, but changing the speed doesn't turn affect the treadmill. I have to reset it by removing and replacing the key or by pressing the manual control button. Then I can start the treadmill for an instant again.Right before the problem, the kids got a short length of cloth stuck in spinning part of the treamill (axle?). We unwound it and there doesn't seem to be anything else in there.

Ok, the speed sensor may have gotten knocked by the cloth and it is cutting out as a safety precaution.

You will need to check and adjust the speed sensor if necessary.

Let me know if that works?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know where the speed sensor is. I don't see anything in the manual's part list named speed sensor or of a similar name.

It is also known as a reed switch, it is mounted near the motor and looks like this:

http://www.treadmillpartszone.com/treadmill-reed-switch-speed-sensor-167915/

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, thank you! I found it. The screw holding it on was slightly loose and the the sensor was at an angle. I put it so it was perpendicular to the wheel with the magnet and tightened the screw, but the problem is still happening.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just looked up reed switches and see they are supposed to be parallel to the magnet. I will try switching its orientation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still doesn't work. I'll try uploading a video.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
video file is too big to upload. Can you see it at this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByiOozCHXs9-bGw4bmlQRVJpT1E/view?usp=sharing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
first video is of motor. this video is of control board:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByiOozCHXs9-X2I0alJ0Y0lEYUE/view?usp=sharing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
BTW, I put the reed switch back to perpedicular to the wheel based off of diagram in manual.

Have you tried testing the reed switch for continuity to see if it is working?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have a multimeter to test the reed switch. I think the reed switch is working though because when I manually push the treadmill by walking on it the digital speed on the console does respond with a readout.

Ok, that is a good indication that the speed sensor is working.

Does the treadmill run ok if you are not standing on it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does the same thing whether standing on it or not. Just the initial burst of movement and then nothing. The speed it moves at doesn't correspond to the number/speed selected. It is the same speed regardless. It is definitely starting too fast for some of the slower selections.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Does the motor run when the belt is removed from it?

Can you measure the current drawn by the motor when it starts up?

If the motor has failed you will get a higher than usual draw of current, which may be causing the machine to go into a failsafe mode.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The motor's wires measure 59-62 dc. That stayed the same when the treadmill starting but the amps went quickly up to 11 and instantly dropped.I'll try taking the motor off the belt.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does the same thing when the motor is disconnected from the belt - quick on then stops.I wonder if the motor is bad. There is a buzzing sound with the burst of running and I can see a quick glow coming out of the motor.

Ok, yes this does indicate that the motor is bad - it is unable to run, even with the belt removed.
You can test it further by connecting a 18V cordless drill battery to the two power supply wires, however I do suspect that you will need to replace the motor at this stage.
Pete.