crash2199, Technician
Experience:  10+ years

I have an older GE 18 cubic foot refrigerator that leaks

Customer Question

I have an older GE 18 cubic foot refrigerator that leaks water from a box under the freezer which is at the top of the refrigerator. I keep a bowl under it to collect the water about 8 oz. per day.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is a GE but I don't know the year or model. Is that info on the back?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: This has been going on for about 6 months. I have just lived with it. Before getting another refrigerator I thought I would ask about the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, maybe there is a hose or something that should take the water away that is missing?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  crash2199 replied 1 month ago.

Refrigerators with automatic defrost have a drain tube that carries water from the defrost cycle to a fixed drain pan under the refrigerator.

If water appears on the floor in front of the refrigerator or under the vegetable bins once or twice a day, it could be due to a clog in the defrost drain tube. The usual evidence of a clogged drain in a side-by-side refrigerator is ice under the bottom basket in the freezer compartment, in addition to a puddle of water on the floor.

The following styles can usually be cleared without service:

• Defrost drain hole located on the back wall of the freezer, just up from where the floor slopes up to the back, in the center.
  • Plastic panel held in place by a screw. Remove screw and panel, and the drain hole will be visible. If not visible, service is required.

Flush out the drain hole with a solution of 1 tsp. baking soda and 2 cups of hot tap water in a meat/turkey (bulb) baster. When clear, you will hear water running down into the drain pan below. To prevent this from recurring, pour the solution of 1 tsp baking soda and two cups hot (not boiling) water into the drain opening once or twice a year.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.