Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a Sharp OZ-6500 Wizard 512KB. It has worked well for

Customer Question

I have a Sharp OZ-6500 Wizard 512KB. It has worked well for the last 20 years, however, it is now ?dead? It will not turn on. There was no notification to replace the batteries as usually happens when they become low. We did put in new batteries and it still will not respond. Is there any the information can be retrieved?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: approximately 20 years old. I received it for a Christmas present in 1995.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: it is a Sharp OZ -6500
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: This just happened yesterday. Still no luck in getting it to turn on.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi Frank, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, please try cleaning the battery terminals/contacts using foam swabbed lightly dipped in household alcohol as this is the only easy user doable attempt.

If not corrective, then the described symptom almost always would point to an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Alternatively, consider the services of repairs shops specializing with these devices. Please click HERE.