Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices

I have a Garmin Approach S1 which is over three years old

Customer Question

I have a Garmin Approach S1 which is over three years old (used extensively). The serial no. is###-##-#### I cannot charge it because it needs a new battery---or something?? I read the material which came with it and got the impression I could (should) change the battery myself. Upon opening up this instrument, I could find no battery or anything resembling a battery??
I want to send it somewhere to have the battery replaced and the unit itself checked for proper working order.
Please advise and thank you.
Bill *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Garmin and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the device.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Followed your instructions: the Garmin logo is showing and the battery is charging. But, this was as before and then messages about the battery replacement began to appear.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

then the battery does need to be replaced.

You can purchase the replacement here

But it can be difficult to replace, if you can solder then you need to remove the backing

Remove insulating tape from both sides of battery in order to unsolder old battery and solder the new.

A watch repair can do this for you though, if you have not had much experience soldering.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot believe you charged me $5 for that and took an hour or more of my time!!
I want my credit card no. erased in your system and my money back!
Jesus Christ----what a bunch of con artists. Believe me, I am going to spread the word.
Bill ******
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

how did I take an hour of your time, the whole interaction tool less then 15 minutes and you got all the information you needed, I'm not sure what your really referring to

I think its pretty wrong to accuse me of such a statement, but as we work on trust here, ill organize a refund so you do not need to pay for the information you received

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You could have said initially that if the battery needs replacement, it likely will have to be done by a jeweler and that the combined cost of the new battery and jeweler charges and my time and travel may not be worth the trouble and expense. Plus, a jeweler will not check out this devise for overall functionality. THIS would have been a good- faith (no charge) response.
Plus, it is waterproof (supposedly). Who would reseal it and ensure it continues to be waterproof---and at what cost??
Bill *****