Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

The Kenwood kdv415U that I have been using in a party bus

Customer Question

The Kenwood kdv415U that I have been using in a party bus with subwoofers is cutting out 90%sound when the school kids play it at full volume for several minutes. They are able to shut it off and restart it and it works great for the next few minutes but provides quite the buzzkill when it acts up. I assume this means the stereo is old and weak. What would be a more solid unit that would hold up to their abuse?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 2 months ago.

Hi good morning,

Im sorry to hear that.

How old is your system?

Also is it just the Sub that cuts out, or almost all the sound?

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm pretty sure the sub still works, all the high treble sounds cuts out. You can still hear the song but it's much softer.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The stereo is 2years old and has been played loud for 2-4 hours straight several times
Expert:  Michael replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for all that useful info.

On this one you have a bad electrolytic capacitor, they are electronic components that will cause this effect when they fail.

Its causing an overload condition but it clears when reset.

Unfortunately, this will need service by a professional car stereo repair technician.

You can check locally for one, there are many in most locations;-)

Most shops that install them also repair these.

I wish I had better news for you I really do.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great Sunday!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** my original question. What would be a more salad unit that would hold up to this abuse better than what I have?
Is there a better version of Kenwood that would already have the same connector on the back that would make this and easy replacement vs paying someone to fix it and waiting for them to fix it?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 months ago.

Hi sorry for the delay,

The Kenwood is pretty tough, and I woudl stick with that one but you can replace it with a Sony MEX-GS610BT - car - CD receiver - in-dash unit - Full-DIN. It is a little less expensive but just as tough and has the same features as your Kenwood.

You could also find an exact replacement out there, they are still available, please see:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_21574_Kenwood_KDV-415U.aspx

I hope that helps you decide?

Please rate kindly before you go so I can close this for us;-)

I wish you the best what ever direction you take with this.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael