John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

I have a new Yaesu FT2DR which I am setting up to use on a

Customer Question

I have a new Yaesu FT2DR which I am setting up to use on a repeater with a Tone. So far, I can receive but not transmit. So, do I have to set up the tone on the transmit side also? Note that my radio was a demonstrator and so other functions may have been turned on or off that I don't know about.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It is a FT2DR amateur radio. And I have not been able to transmit at all.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have been through every page of the manual. I have checked to make sure the transmit has not been locked, that it is set on CTCC tone squelch. I even checked something called BLO something.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What repeater are you using with the Yaesu FT2DR please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
145.270 Topeka KS

Excuse me - thanks for the response - but I need to know, what maker and model # of repeater?

Unless I'm missing some detail about the setup, that may be significant.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am using FM analog so the repeater set up shouldn't be an issue. I believe it is currently a Yaesu fusion repeater but it wouldn't have to be. I just think I am overlooking something I need to do or some function was turned off or on when it was being used as a demonstrator in the store. Some of the older radios require that you set up the tone on the receive separately from the transmit. The previous Yaesu I had didn't require that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I followed the instructions on p 52 of the manual and then Setting the tone frequency on p 110.

OK. I agree. The repeater being RM analog should not matter - though I must ask if the transmit frequency is the same as the receiving frequency?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It would have the regular 2M repeater offset.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
According to the manual the radio should set that automatically unless you turn it off to reverse to see if you are close enough for simplex.

Is the repeater tuned to 'pass' that frequency, though?

(Since you followed directions in the instructions, I am inclined to examine the repeater as perhaps at fault in the configuration.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Other people are having conversations on the repeater.

So there is simultaneous use, both ways, already, via this repeater?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Of course, I waited until they were finished talking. I know them and knew one of them would be available for a radio check. I am just thinking that there must be another section in the manual I have overlooked or something you can do to block transmit. In other words, user error on my part.

Try setting the CTCSS (PL tone) for the transmit function.

The PL should be at 88.5 to open this repeater, it seems.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
far I haven't found a way to do in the manual but I guess I will just have to keep trying. Thank you for the help though.

If you'll give me a few more hours, I will try to find such an adjustment, if that's OK.

If, on the other hand, you are done with the question and case though, please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you can look into it and get back to me, that would be great.

I regret that I forgot to ask this last night:

Is the model # of your Yaesu radio, one of these, and which one?:

APRS Edition

GM Edition

WIRES Edition

I will need that information to give you accurate instructions, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

OK, thanks for the quick response!

Another question, is whether you have the ADMS-8 programming software, or anything else for a similar purpose?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not home so I don't access to the programming software but I do have programming software. I prefer manual set up though - just to make sure I can do what I need to do if I don't have access to a computer - emergencies etc.

OK. I'll be using the information you've given to try to find a solution within an hour or two and post it when I have it. Thanks for your patience meanwhile.