Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

Team. My Paper Kindle suddenly went black while d/loading.

Customer Question

Hi Team. My Paper White Kindle suddenly went black while d/loading. The "face page tells me to wait a moment till it starts up----10 hours later still waiting. Book had been fully charged but decided to do it again to be sure--6 hour later still only white light.. Had a technician try to reset it for me but again a no go. How do I get to de-register it when cannot open it. Purchased from Amazon about 4 years ago.(Barbaras 2nd Kindle)
Looked at other models at Amazon yesterday but you tell me you cannot ship to Oamaru New Zealand now. I do not understand the reason why. Pity.
My original kindle bought from Amazon approx 7 years ago (Barbaras kindle) is getting a bit old and my concern is that if I buy Kobo here in New Zealand would I be able to retrieve my books from the cloud into it.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, Barbara,

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Nathan,The image of a tree is all I have had since problem arose. Tried your response as did technician that day but nothing has changed. Think I am hoping but do not expect a miracle .
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Based on age, it honestly is not likely to work, but we can try a few more options.

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Nathan. Will give that try. Do not expect to get back to you today but will let you know one way or the other.
Have watched the opening of the Paralympics today and tv will rule my life over the next 12 days and with a "little" bit of luck have a working kindle in my hand at the same time......beats watching adverts eh. Cheers, Barbara
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

No problem at all, let me know when you have a chance. I'll be watching as well, I have some friends competing in Rio this year.

Thanks

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?