Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

The LCD display on my Philips model DC291/37 just stopped

Customer Question

The LCD display on my Philips model DC291/37 just stopped working. So I cannot use my alarm clock or anything related to it. So, is my device now useless?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Are you still able to get sound through it from an ipod?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the only thing that is not working is the LCD display. I guess I cannot tell if anything works besides the radio, since I cannot change anything because of the messed up LCD.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Yes I am here, but messages can take a few minutes.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately that is symptomatic of a hardware failure, which may be just a bad lcd but is more likely a faulty control board.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this unit would be considered past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; Though repairs for these units is simply not feasible, there are no parts available and labor alone would greatly exceed the value of the system. You would be better off replacing it with a new system at this point.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I will try that.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you.