John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

Hp miniwill get on Wi-Fi but wont load internet

Customer Question

hp mini(###) ###-####will get on Wi-Fi but wont load internet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What symptom of lack of internet do you get? that is, what error message shows up?

Try opening a Command Prompt window.

Type this command into the Command Prompt window,

then press the RETURN or ENTER key on your keyboard, once.

That should bring up a load of information. Please copy that information and append it to your response (use the Reply To Expert function to respond) and I will advise you as to what is going on and what to do.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am typing what was shown after ipconfig was entered on my Mini and am sending it through another computer since my Mini is not connecting to the internet.Windows IP Configuration
Mobile Broadband adapter Mobile Broadband Connection 2:
Media State : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
Media State : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
Link-local IPv6 Address : fe80::9c9d:2123:4db0:e741x13
IPv4 Address :
Subnet Mask :
Default Gateway :
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix :

OK, it says that you are connected to WiFi - as you already said.

And it indicates, you have a connection to a LAN by WiFi. So far so good. Nothing really indicative there.

Now go back to the Command Prompt, and enter this command:

and press the RETURN or the ENTER key on the keyboard, once.

Wait a bit. What sort of response do you get? I suspect it will be a short error message after about 10 seconds or 20. But it might have some details...

Then check your WiFi router, just the status of the lights on it. What lights are On? what lights are flashing?

After noting that, please unplug the WiFi router from just the power. I.e. switch it Off.

Leave it Off for 10 minutes to rest and cool and reset thoroughly.

Then turn it On, or re-apply the power if it was unplugged from power.

Let it start up for at least 1 minute (60 seconds) and note the lights, compared to how they were before. Is a light flashing that wasn't before?

If so, go back to the problem computer, restart it, and see if it gets internet now.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ping resulted in the following message: Ping request could not find host Please check the name and try again.Our "router" is a Verizon hotspot. The router/hotspot seems to be working OK. It shows that it is connected to both the Mini and the laptop that we are using to send these messages. The Mini shows that it is connected to the hotspot. The hotspot is turned "off" when we are not using it.

Of course it is connected to the Mini.

Try my instructions, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I did exactly what you instructed the lights are the same on the hot spot no change and the message on the mini is the same after restart no change.

Very well. The Mini seems to be where the problem is.

What version of Windows is on it? before I proceed any further.

And also, what security software (firewall, anti-virus) does it use, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
windows 7 and no security

No security explains the problem, oddly enough. Without security software, your HP Mini may have been infected by internet-access-addling viruses or malware.

provides good-enough security software and firewall for Windows PCs, once the problem has been straightened out - unless you prefer other alternatives.

Meanwhile... I suggest that we revert the HP Mini to a former status, using System Restore, and then it will probably work fine - and Avast or other security software can be installed on it, via internet connection, and it will probably *stay* fixed and operational then.

Does that sound good? if so, I will give you instructions for doing a System Restore properly, on your HP Mini. (How long has it been in-use, in the last 6 months or so, roughly?)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please tell me how restore this damn thing I have tried restore it through the minis programs but that did nothing! and my wife has Norton anti viruse that I used

First, start up the HP Mini in Safe Mode.

(Turn it Off. Wait 1 minute. Turn it On and press F8 repeatedly until the Safe Mode selection screen, all black with a highlight bar, comes up.)

Good so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no f-8 on the mini

No F keys? at the top of the keyboard?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's right its just a note book no bells and whistles

Then we can't enter Safe Mode. Try it this way then:

System Restore can be done by the following:

First, close all programs, and disconnect from the WiFi for sure.

Go to

Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

and choose to Restore system to a previous [etc.], then from the calendar-like interface, choose the first restore point *before* the problem started, then do the restoring.

(Warning: it may help to first disconnect from the internet, then also disable - temporarily, i.e. turn Off - your anti-virus utility, since they can often interfere with the Restore operation completing successfully.... before doing a System Restore.)

The computer will grind away for a while, then restart automatically, then grind away some more, and hopefully will come up with a message that the Restore operation was fully successful.

And hopefully that will cure the problem.

(PS: Do not choose to do a System Restore if you have recently installed any Microsoft software of any considerable cost. Its installation may be reversed, and you may lose money that way. Let me know if you think that's the case, and I will advise you further as to what to do.)

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for help I'll let you know how it turns out have a good night!

OK, good night.

Let me know how it turns out by and by.