Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I just had an avionics shop upgrade my GNS530 to a GNS530W

Customer Question

I just had an avionics shop upgrade my GNS530 to a GNS530W and installed a GTX345. The shop tells me I cannot get TFRs displayed on my 530, but I can see them on my iPad.
Is this correct or is there a way to see TFRs displayed on my 530?
I have a 530W and GDL69 in another aircraft and see TFRs there.
Is there a difference with the GTX345?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The Garmin GTX435 itself can display NOTAMs, of which TFRs are one type. So it is certain, you can get the NOTAMs/TFRs via the GTX435 itself. If you need them from the 530W also, that's a different story, but since the GTX435 can receive and display NOTAMs, then it should be able to pass them on to the 530W. Did the shop explain their opinion or advice in the least, or was it a flat declaration?

The above, of course, depends upon whether the hookups for the 530W (compared to those for the 530) are the same.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The 345 cannot display any Notams or TFRs. It can send the info to iPad or compatible displays. My 530w will display nexrad, metar, taf and other info but won't display TFRs. My shop said they don't know how to make it display TFRs.

If the Garmin GTX345 does not display NOTAMs, then I was mistaken - what I saw about that facility seemed to indicate such a capability.

Granted that the Garmin won't display them, then the alternative is to send them to an iPad (or, a compatible display.) Which of these are you aiming at getting working?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As I stated in my original question, I can see TFRs on the iPad. I want to view them on my 530W.

Do you observe yellow-bounded areas on your flight display map (or Map and XM Weather pages of the Nav page group) on the 530W ?

if so, move the map cursor to within the boundaries of the yellow-bordered area, and press the ENT key to view the information on the TFR for that region.

But you may need a GDL69 to see such NOTAMs ... the GDL69 is the XM Satellite Data Link.

Also see the TFR Information page, which can beaccessed from the Map page or the XM Weather page, for the full details of the TFR in question.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are no yellow bounded areas displayed on the 530W map on any page. I can see the TFRs on my iPad, but they do not display anywhere on the 530W.

That is perhaps disappointing but unsurprising. You will need a GDL69 or a GDL69A connected to the 530W in order to display TFRs on the 530W.

That is my answer to your question - it requires a GDL69 to display such TFRs, but with that it can be done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know I can get this info using a GDL69 and have that installed on another aircraft. The same info is coming in thru the GTX345. Why can't it be displayed in the same way?

How is the GTX345 hooked up to the 530W ? through what port?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know. NEXRAD, TAFs, METARS and other incoming info is displayed somewhere in the 530.

What I meant by, "through what port," was:

What cable connects from the 345 to the 530W?

And what port on the 530W does it connect to?

A photograph might do...? you can take one and post it to me with your reply.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know and I am miles from the aircraft

Then we can take up the case later, whenever you have gone to the aircraft and inspected the hookup, please.

Go to

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/9wc7t-just-avionics-shop-upgrade-gns530-gns530w.html

to rejoin this case later.