Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant

Having trouble beginning to use my new Garmin purchased

Customer Question

Having trouble beginning to use my new Garmin purchased today. What is my first step?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Sorry to hear of any issues with your device.

May I ask:

1) How long have you had this device and how long has it been unpacked from the box?

2) Have you connected it in the vehicle yet, or some other power source?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. about 4 hours
2. No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry. I have to get to bed. PST and an early appointment in the morning. Please cancel the above.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

OK - let me give you a "summary" about these devices.

MOST come with a "quick start guide", and it does mention connecting to your computer (via USB) ... BUT that is really not necessary.

This is because these \devices are a pretty much "ready to go" - right out of the box, by connecting the device to the vehicle power adapter, allowing it to CHARGE UP for a little bit (about 20 minutes minimum), and then allow it to power on and initialize.

Once that happens and you are pretty much ready to go.

Now you can do that NOW - if you have time, or wait until morning, and then just connect it to vehicle power when you get ready to go.

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

I also have a link to the system manual for you, which goes a bit deeper than the quick start manual.

When you get a chance, take a look at the section about connecting the device in the vehicle, and then allow it to charge a little bit, the power up (if it does not come on automatically), go through the initial screen (set language and such) and then search for and find the satellites.

And when you get a chance (and are NOT driving). "look over" the manual and review some of the key features and functions.

After you get it running, please take some time to "experiment" with the functions - as it does take time to "get to know" the device.

Please let me know what you find - when you can.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.

You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.
--. .-