Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming

I just replaced the lamp but now the TV is turning itself

Customer Question

I just replaced the lamp but now the TV is turning itself off every 5 minutes. I suspect the fan needs cleaning but cannot find location of two fans in manual. Can you tell me where they are
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: PT 50DL 54J
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Searching on line for customer's with similar problems. Same question, user said check fan
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thanks
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) If the set wasn't shutting down like this until you replaced the lamp, then I need to ask you where you purchased this lamp from and for how much?

2) When it shuts itself of, what are the LED indicators on the front of the set doing? Please describe each light, it's color and whether it's blinking or steady.

3) What were the symptoms the TV had BEFORE you replaced the lamp?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Purchased from Lampedia who I have used before.Before replacing lamp, I would get a message to replace lamp that stayed on the screen for about 3 minutes. Then it would shut itself down. The first shutoff occurred about 1 hour after turning TV and and then shutoffs became increasingly closer together.Tonight the button would turn from steady green to flashing yellow. I then used remote to get back to flashing green rather than let the TV turn itself off.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

No thank you on the phone call.

There's two lights on this TV- the Temp LED and the Lamp LED.

Tell me specifically which LED is doing what when the set shuts down please.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, there's actually three- there's also the Lamp LED. These all indicate codes, so if you can tell me what each is doing when it shuts down, I can look them up directly and tell you what is wrong.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Are you still with me here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was expecting a call then got text so have been running around trying to figure out how you communicating. After turning TV no lights are blinking
Expert:  Martin replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Usually that happen to let you the time to reset the hours counter on the TV/Projector. I think this is the model of lamp you need and the associated hour reset procedure: