Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

I have a set of cordless panasonic telephones model:

Customer Question

I have a set of cordless panasonic telephones model: kx-tg6445t. I previously added new batteries. It charged over night. Sometimes, we use a handset for 1 call, and the it displays "Charge for 7h". Its' Panasonic Ni-MH AAA batteries HHR-65AAABU are rated for 1.2v, but both currently have 1.45v (with the display saying "Charge for 7h". I've read about folks putting electrical grease between the board and charging contacts to resolve it, but I'm hoping there is a better alternative. Suggestions?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Jerry.

This issue is almost always the result of a faulty charging circuit inside the handset, not properly detecting the existing voltage.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That didn't help. I have 6 phones, and I used 4 in this test. All 4 have in excess of 1.4V batteries. I left the base unplugged and batteries removed for 20 minutes. Then, I restored the batteries, telephone line, and base station power - in that order. They lose the "charge for 7h" when they are on the charging station, but if I remove the batteries and put them back in, it again says "Charge for 7 hours". All handsets show 1 bar charged (out of 2 or 3 for a total charge).
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Sorry I misunderstood in your initial question, I thought this was happening on just a single handset, but you are saying you have the issue on all of them?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry. Same problem on all six. I only reported one because I was sitting next to it and not the others.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for confirming,

that then indicates a base station fault, if happening on all of them; the first step would be the above reset,

failing that, we'd dregister, then reregister each handset.

Grab a handset and key in menu#131, then select the handset to deregister (you can do them individually, or all from 1 handset).

Then repeat the above reset step once more to clear all memory,

when you power them back up, on handset:
menu #130, then go to the main base and hold the Locator (find hs) button 5 seconds, then press OK on the handset,

repeat on the other handsets

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?