John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

I got a home theater sound system with model # SC-PT950. I

Customer Question

I got a home theater sound system with model # SC-PT950. I rarely play it since the date I purchase it from store.
Today I can not play it. I can't open & put CD. Phenomena includes : I push Open button and then the word " wait" light is on and then turn the word " close", and the button "1" , "2", "3", "4", "5" continuously blinking, round by round
In addition, I can not enjoy audio from the television even though I follow strictly the manual paged 34 " enjoying audio from an external source
Can you help me to overcome these error? I do not think my player come to time to throw away because it is almost brand new.
Looking forward to your solutions soon
Appreciate it!
Thuc Huynh - Fort worth, Texas dated Aug 20, 2016 ***@******.***
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does your home theater have a 'CD cassette' or 'carousel' for multiple CDs?

If so, it may have jammed. Shut the device Off, unplug it, and wait 2 hours, then try again, first doing an Eject of the CD or CDs or cassette that is/are already in the machine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have just done what you instructed and waiting for 2 hours ... and try again.
In case, what if it still fail, what should I do after that?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I enjoy audio from television?

As for audio from the TV... how is the home theater player connected to the TV? through an HDMI cable, or through RCA cables (the ones with colors on their plugs) or other type of connection?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
both HDMI and RCA cables

OK. To get audio from the TV, go into the TV's MENU system, and go to Audio Source (or Audio Settings, then Source, or the like) and select the input that the RCA cables are hooked up to.

(I'd try the RCA inputs first, since HDMI cables of the cheaper vintages are often subject to poor quality problems, such as not really working, not transmitting audio, etc.)

See if RCA input being selected on the TV, allows audio through to the TV. Let me know the result, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
RCA cables are hooked up as the way that I can hear the sound through home theatre system when I put CDs and play it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can not still hear the sound from the theatre systems even though I have just done speaker settings on my TV
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The system can not generate any sound. In other words, it become mute
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I overcame jammed error -/ can not open CDs compartment by uncovering metal plate and picking a pencil out)

Check that the home theater is not Muted.

Check that the TV is not Muted either.

Turn up Volume controls on both the TV, and the home theater system.

(If either one has its volume very low, normal volumes on the other one will be either inaudible, or else very low volume. The two devices' volume controls work together, and one can severely limit the other.)

Good to hear that the jam has been overcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I use TV remote to adjust volume, there appears screen saying that " your TV is set to use external speakers. Adjust the volume on the connected speaker directly". So there is something wrong with transferring signal from my TV to external speaker.
Can you think more and give me a solution for this error?

What external speakers do you have? the ones that go through the home theater?

Also, try disconnecting the HDMI cable. If defective, it might be keeping down the audio somehow, perhaps. It's one thing to try.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Panasonic home theater system; I followed your advice. Now I only use RCA cables. It still mutes

Does the TV itself work, when disconnected from the home theater, as far as sound (in its own speakers) goes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
TV's speaker will resume normal status if I use TV's remote to reset and select TV's speaker

OK. The problem isn't in the TV then.

What outputs on the TV, are the RCA cables hooked up to?

What inputs on the home theater system, are the other end of the RCA cables hooked up to?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I always leave RCA cables intact, don't touch it during switching speaker settings

Turn the system components Off by all means, when switching or disconnecting cables.