John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

I have a GPSMAP 64st which i use on my woodlot and on

Customer Question

i have a GPSMAP 64st which i use on my woodlot and on fishing trips. i need help understanding how to download maps onto one of my computers, and how to make use of them on the device. tom allen
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I presume you need to get land maps, not water/sea/lake maps particularly.

Also, I presume you can tell me what computer you have, Apple or Windows PC - in case it matters.

Do you have any particular region's maps in mind? or just 'anyplace', please?

Let me know, by the Reply To Expert function.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
land maps and some are pre-loaded TOPO series for North America, for example. i had a map prepared of my property but could not find the softward to download it onto my DellXPS13 or my HP desktop. primarily i want the best available maps of Maine. there is also BirdsEye satellite imagery which i would like to download. the Garmin instructions that i have found are woefully inadequate for me at least.

I'm glad to hear that you have the right maps in mind.

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

See if that helps move the maps to the device. It might.

(If it doesn't, let me know, and I will instruct you as to how to get the maps onto the Garmin device, if you can tell me what the file types are, and what website they are from.)