Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369

I have a safe I have not used in a couple of years now I

Customer Question

I have a safe I have not used in a couple of years now I can't get open the green proceed lite is on the key is unlocked how can I get it open it is not a gun safe its a home safe
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

Who is the maker of your safe and what is the model number?

If it is a Sentry safe (or any brand), I would first suggest changing the batteries; even though the green proceed light is on, that doesn't necessarily mean the batteries have enough power to open the door, especially if it hasn't been opened in a couple of years. If you don't know how to change the batteries, please let me know if you have a round or rectangular electronic key pad.

Also, please make sure to REMOVE the key from the lock after turning it and before entering your combination. Are you 100% sure of your combination?

Try replacing the batteries first, and let me know what happens. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do I change the batteries
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
rectangle key pad sentry safe the only numbers are 83870 AL769727
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

For a rectangular keypad, find a tiny hole near the left/center of the plastic panel under the keypad, take a pen point or the end of a paperclip and put it in that hole and press in; as you're pressing in, slide the panel off, to the right. Inside, you will see the battery holder. Remove the old batteries and replace with the new ones--alkaline or lithium for electronics, only--never rechargeable. Replace the battery holder and then slide the panel back on, to the left.

See how that goes and please let me know. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
still not working
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there a way of reprograming it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you still there
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm sorry it's still not working. Is the model number, perhaps S3870 and not 83870?

Thanks for your patience, I'm still working on this for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im pretty sure its 83870
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

I know the numbers/letters are usually pretty small and there is no model number 83870, but there is one that is S3870, so I'm researching that one. It might take me a short while, so thanks for waiting. : )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

No problem!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how much longer is this going to take
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Actually, there is a way to reprogram (actually add a different code), but you must be sure that the combination you have now is absolutely correct. If that is not the right, original combination, you can't add another combination. I'm assuming you don't have your original owner's manual, but there is a downloadable one online, with these instructions about programming a 'user code' and 'user pin', which are temporary. The user's manual is in a .pdf file and difficult to send, so go to the following site, scroll down to 'owner's manual' or further down, 'view manual' and click on there.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/51/S3870_FIRE-SAFE_Home_Safe

-------

It might just open on your page or go, as a file, to your desktop or elsewhere on your computer. Read the instructions in there, towards the right hand side of the page and try one or both, to see if you can program one of those different codes. If that doesn't work, then you don't have your correct original combination and will need to request it from Sentry, here--just follow all directions:

https://replacements.masterlock.com/lost-combo

---------

There are still other things you can try, now: take a rubber mallet or a hammer with a towel wrapped a few times, around the head (so you don't damage the safe) and hit the door above and below the keypad a few times. This may loosen up the opening mechanism if it is stuck, after not being opened in years. Also, hit the safe door, all around and concentrate on the upper left hand corner of the door, as the rubber gaskets in these safes can swell. You can push in on it with your body, as if you're trying to close it. You can also tilt the safe to the back, front and/or sides, to redistribute the contents inside, as something may be pressed up against the opening mechanism.

When entering your code, don't let more than 5 seconds lapse, in between numbers and also, start with the handle completely horizontal and then, you have 4 seconds in which to pull it down after you enter your code. If it won't go down, try pulling it up.

Let me know how you do. Thanks!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nothing works I can't stay hear any longer can I com back tomorrow and try again?
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Your safe may be defective and even if it is out of warranty, you might ask Sentry for a replacement. They're usually good with standing behind their products.

Yes, you can certainly return tomorrow and try again. If I don't respond immediately, it means I'm either offline or helping another client, so your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried all nothing works lights lite very randomly I think I need to call in a lock smith to open it.
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again, Jim and thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your patience, as I was offline when you posted back.

If the lights are lighting dimly and very randomly, I'd try changing the batteries for new ones again. Also, if I didn't mention this, check for any corrosion (leaked battery acid or rust) in the battery holder and use a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol to clean it, then dry completely. Insert your new batteries and see what happens.

If nothing else worked, I agree, your last option is to call in a local locksmith or safe technician to either open the safe without destroying it, or if that is not possible, have the lock drilled open.

You can still call Sentry and ask for a technician to help you troubleshoot, over the phone. 800- 828- 1438 Hours:
Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM US Central Time.

I wish you much good luck and please let me know how things are going. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my time and assistance. Thank you very much!

Warmest regards,

Cher