John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

My 7" Garmin GPS unit said the Battery was low for some

Customer Question

My 7" Garmin GPS unit said the Battery was low for some time. Then one day it bagan displaying weird, unrelated images and was somewhat "out of control" and not productive for use in my car. Can I send it in to get the battery replaced, or do I need to just purchase
a new one?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem you describe may be the battery, or it might possibly be something else.

How old is the Garmin Nuvi in question ? this matters, re battery replacement.

Also, what model is it? which also matters.

Please let me know, by using the Reply To Expert function, and I will advise you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About 16 months. I'm not sure about the model except to say it has a 7" diagonal screen(about 3" x 5").

At 16 months, you may as well try replacing the battery - it is out of warranty after all - rather than send it to Garmin for repair.

However, to determine the battery to replace, we will need to know the model #. It may be under the battery hatch... in which case, just getting the numbers off the battery, specifically the maker and model # of the battery and its V. or Volts rating, would be best.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Thank you Russell. I will try that.

Are you done with this question? if so a rating for my work would be appreciated.

(Or do you just need a pause? if so that's fine.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Russell. I have checked the back of the unit, to see if I CAN access the battery. It requires a tiny "star wrench"-you know the wrenches that look sort of like allen wrenches but have a six pointed star rather than the hexagonal face of the allen wrenches. I've never seen such a tool when I have looked through the tool sections of the hardware stores I have been in (Home Depot & Lowes). So, I'm guessing I really have no other option than to send it in to Garmin.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help. As for a rating, I would give your service an A, although I really didn't give you a "workable" problem to solve. Then I disappeared (to try to open up the unit, after which I went to bed.) Sorry about that. But you did what you could and I appreciate that. Thank You.

I know the tool type you mention: it is called a Torx.

I own a set of Torx drivers. But it cost me something. They are specialized tools, indeed.

Perhaps it would be more economical for you to send te device to Garmin; The choice is yours to make and all I can do is advise you on it.

Is there really no way (label, sales slip, credit card records) to tell what model the Garmin device in question is?

Thanks for your remarks about giving my service an A... but I'm not done trying yet.