John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

I HAVE A FRIDAIRE fREEZER MODEL ffu14F5HWB I WAS TSETTING.

Customer Question

I HAVE A FRIDAIRE fREEZER MODEL ffu14F5HWB I WAS TSETTING. iS THERE ANY WAY Told THAT THE REASON IT IS NOT RUNNING IS THAT THE DEFROSTER HEATER WOULD NOT CUT OFF. tHE CONTROL BOARD SHOWS A 7 SETTING, IS THERE ANY WAY TO TEST WHETHER THE THERMOSTAT OR THE DEFROST HEATER IS THE PROBLEM BY BYPASSING THE HEATER TO SEE IF THE COMPRESSOR WILL EWNGAGE?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When trying to tell whether a thermostat, or thermal switch, in a refrigerator is truly working, one must chill that thermostat with (for instance) a piece of ice held to it, and measure with a voltmeter or resistance meter, as to whether the switch inside the thermostat has closed, when the thermostat is sufficiently chilled.

For instance, set the thermostat to the weakest setting it has without being disengaged or Off altogether: something like '1' on a scale of 1 is warmest, 10 is coldest.

Measure across the thermostat at that setting. It should be 'open' or infinite Ohms of resistance.

Then hold ice up against the thermostat for 5 minutes. Then measure whether it has closed, at which point it should read 'closed' or near-zero Ohms of resistance.

As for whether the defroster heater has failed to turn Off... A: the freezer would be quite warm if that were so! and B. the thermostat *would* try to turn On the compressor again and cool things off... provided the thermostat were *not* set on Defrost or on Off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Russell: No changes have taken place. can I by pass the thermostat momentarily to check whether the compressor engages and the fan engages?

That could be done, yes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what should I do to bypass the thermostat

If it is a standard unit, it has two terminals on it. Correct?